Featured Post

Magmatron: Revisited + Alpha

It had been 6 months since my last blog, and just after some anonymous stranger sent me a scan of the last Magmabot I've been missing fo...

Saturday, October 20, 2012

An Original Combiner: BAHAGHARI

I've been working on a lot of modifying on all of my FOLDABOTS Toy Patterns since some of them still had flaws until now. But there is one set I recently made for all of you.

Ever remember the FOLDABOTS MINI promo from a certain biscuit brand? The great thing about this, is you get the pattern at the back of the box. Another great thing about this is that there were 20 parts to collect (18 since the two are trailer parts) and combine them to make gestalts out of them. The set can make 3 full combiners, leaving 3 small ones out. Badly, unlike standard-size combiners, these doesn't have helmets or combiner heads to distinguish them as giants.

The set consists of 9 Foldabots that forms the arms, 6 forming the legs, 3 makes up the torso, and 2 trailer parts. Most of the set has units that have almost the same parts as the other. The electrical service truck and tow truck have the same pattern except for the roof placements, service ladder from one of them, and the winch arm from the other. The ambulance and armored car also has some differences aside from the siren piece present in the ambulance, they form the shortest pair of legs. The two car carrier trucks differ in their roof placements. The bus and MRT train both have the same pattern style to each other, same goes to the two jets. The only set that is totally different from the others are the delivery truck, the news helicopter, the F1 racing car, the jeepney, and the giant jackhammer machine.

What I missed?

Oh yeah, the three remaining Foldabots in this collection are the different colored cars. Azul was the first one in the first 8 released while Violeta and Verde (I didn't got him along with Batak and Habagat) were in the rest of the set.

I was inspired by this to make my own set. The expansion set I made, got 2 new cars I made up--Rojo and Marila. Technically, these were also the idea of making those Lutabot sports cars, which I will discuss, some other time. What I also found was this slit on their hands which could come in handy if there were 5 cars to form such gestalt. And that's where I came up with BAHAGHARI.

Bahaghari means 'rainbow' in Tagalog, and since there were 5 units named after colors...
This version is based on the original design and petterns. They were also the very first Foldabots who defeated Lu-Sho in 2050, from my novel "Foldabots MegaMix."
The instructions on how to build these is on another blog...
 





No comments:

Post a Comment