Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Independence Day Special: Wonderful Mix (Part 1)

This is basically the first time I will do a blog post on exactly June 12, after this one, which was a Pre-Independence Day Special. Today, on The Foldabots Blog, I will be showcasing some of my now free patterns which I've made between 2018 and 2023, back when I wasn't much active anymore in the Foldabots scene, yet still experimenting on new designs that are either hit or miss. Foldabots RE:MIX '18, as mentioned in the last post, was a mix of good and bad designs I've tried out at the time. Before we go into the remix again, let's look at one of my original non-Foldabots design, and perhaps a personal favorite, Wonder Vanguard.


WONDER VANGUARD

In order to give you some idea about Wonder Vanguard, here are some videos to give you ideas of Wonder Vanguard's inspiration, and a bit of history of how it came to be. The first video is the TVC for the November 2009 Happy Meal toys called Wonder Vehicle.

Video by @aianchan80

Next, are the only video reviews for the said toys.
Video by @toychronicles

Despite not having to own any, if not all of them back in the day, because of the lack of money and opportunity to at least eat out at a McDonald's, I was still fascinated of the Wonder Vehicles, because of their colorful looks, almost like Power Rangers, and both boys' and girls' sets are equally good whereas the former focuses on sports car gimmicks and like gullwing doors, flashing chassis lights, and pull-back action, while the latter focused on the more girly styles like a garden on wheels, a mobile bakery, or a rolling fashion boutique.

The idea of combining them into a dream Megazord, kicked in after watching the video reviews, giving me a closer look at the Happy Meal toys, and what a good way to make the dream a reality than to turn it into papercraft. I've gave each car a name based on their Happy Meal toy gimmick, and sacrificed their individual gimmicks, in favor of combining them to a robot.

Take note, I've originally made this in 2018, but there were a couple of design issues, which I fixed two years later, when I redid some of my designs which includes XMRT, which had a lot of revisions over the past couple of years, and Deckron, who is now a lime-green bus, which I'll talk about later in this post.

Remember, this was still the time, when most of my experimental Foldabots and non-Foldabots toy patterns were made for 6x4in plain index cards, and 8x5in wasn't a thing until Wishmaker 7, a combiner based off seven kid characters from The Fairly OddParents.

Each pattern has two cars you can build.

Crimspeed, the sixth and final car has the most number of parts.

Be sure to read this one if you want to create your very own Wonder Vanguard.

I personally love how Wonder Vanguard turned out, at around 69 millimeters tall, and each car is around the size of a Transformers Generations WFC Trilogy Micromaster, though they should've been bigger, if I had at least bought one back then, for size basis. Other than that, Wonder Vanguard was and is one of my personal favorites at this point.


To Be Continued...

I will be cutting this post for now, partly I wanted this to be a post to have several parts depending on what content I'll bring up, with the next parts covering the new Deckron, some of the best RE:MIX '18 designs, and many more.

Anyways, that going to be all for now. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you on the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment