Featured Post

Magmatron: Revisited + Alpha

It had been 6 months since my last blog, and just after some anonymous stranger sent me a scan of the last Magmabot I've been missing fo...

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Welcome to the New Era

With Foldabots already dead thanks largely to the new editors of K-Zone PH, the toy line is now hoping for a new home (Though the replacement K-Zone Paper Pops, was just plain sucks unless you're rather interested in the new toy line). And as for the comics, there could be hopes that the series will continue online. As for me, I've re-branded The Foldabots Blog as The Foldabots Archives, assuming you've been paying attention to my announcements of a name change.

Regarding the Topic of Foldabots' Cancellation

Recalling the cancellation of Pugad Baboy by Pol Medina Jr. (i.e.: PMJR), this gave Inquirer readers, most likely PB fans, were disappointed of the notion that the 25-year old comic at that time ended. On the good side, Pugad Baboy continued online, on Facebook. Syndicated releases of the comics are still published by themselves rather than hiring some other publications even after PDI ditched them.

Foldabots from the very start have been published by Summit Media via K-Zone Philippines, and now that the series is dead, where will they continue? Where will they start over again? Are they moving to Precious Pages? The one who published Jomike's adult coloring book Sanctuaries? Other rumors include Viva, but that will be a possibly terrible decision for Tejido, and yet no news about the big move at this point, maybe after I interview Sir Jomike on the Electricus Completion Event, which will be in October... If I'll make it there. There are other publishers which he is on, but only in the cases of children's books. I don't think that will work if he bring his toy line there.

There's Hope to Completionists

I've talked to Charles David Pereja (charlesdavid08 on DeviantArt) about the news shortly after I've posted my last blog, on the very time I've asked about Electricus being abruptly cancelled, he then replied this good news, since I've been planning to interview Jomike Tejido on that very event. And he quote follows with the message from Jomike himself:

tatlo lang yung electricus
ipapamigay daw niya yung isa 


As the abrupt end to the series won’t let us finish the Foldabot combiner, ELECTRICUS, I am giving away a FREE COMPLETION TOYCARD on October 2016 to my collectors in order to finish the ongoing team, ELECTROBOTS.

IMPORTANT:
THE REQUIREMENT for getting the TOYCARD is to bring at least 4 FOLDABOTS TOY BOOKS, cut or uncut 

This is a self-produced promo, so I’ll only have a limited number of copies as a Thank you to my loyal collectors.
Final DATE and LOCATION to be announced here in this page, Jomike Tejido's Foldabots soon.
Thank you to all my collectors from kids to teens who grew up with my series for the past decade.
Meantime, keep on creating and stay awesome!
-Kuya Jomike Tejido

Which means to those who are outside Facebook like me won't be informed real soon, unless Jomike posts this on his Google+ which ironically he seldom checks it, or Charles will inform me on DeviantArt, where we get to communicate on occasion.

My Hiatus...

I've been on hiatus at this point, due to the fact I'm working on something outside the defunct Foldabots fandom. But there are already patterns which I've already printed, but not tested. One of such is Habol, the rural jeepney-like mini-bus, while the rest is a crossover design. The one good thing about my other design, is the gimmick of Scramble System, where you can put any of the four units as any limb you desire, and the torso is made up of weapons and accessories which are useful in both robot and vehicle modes, unlike others you could name. And also the head is rather useful than being a combiner piece that does virtually nothing, which I've been sporting on some of my designs.

Shortly before I post this up, I've received an anonymous comment that he needs one of the Aninobots. I've posted some official patterns here, but it's rather risky, since it's also the titchy reason for Foldabots' death. I've also planned to add watermarks on my later scans just for protection against theft.

Every Other Fans' Disadvantage--Geography and Personal Lives

With only one month to spare before the event, a lot of fans who are itching for completion already has disadvantages thank largely to locations. While the past Toy Book and Chronicles launches were held in the Metro Manila area, most likely in Makati, fans living in the provinces especially those who live in North and some parts of South Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao seemed to have disadvantages, due to the fact Foldabots could and will always not have a nationwide event, just to reach out to every other fans. It also depends on each and every one of us whether we'll make it to the final event or not, that's partly because of other prior personal stuff that comes to mind, like say family get-togethers, outings, or just plain lazy. Yet another reason why not all of us could attend. In contrast, my only event I appeared to the few fans was back in 2013, when Toy Book 6 came out, while not having to appear on every other launches before partly because none of us knew the venue, and after partly because I'm already too old to be there. And that leads to the question...

Why Can't We Aim Foldabots To The Adult Demographic?

For start, Foldabots was published on a children's magazine. Not a good reason for the toy line to be pitched to grown-ups unless you're interested in the matter. For second, only a few Folda-Fans are already adults, so majority wins by default for being kid-oriented. For third, since 2012, Foldabots have been receiving arts from mostly under-10's. There was a time when they've held an art contest to fill in for the 2013 lineup after Magmatron, which led to 6 new Foldabots, with two each as winners in the different age limit categories. After that, we also got 4 more from the 2013 Summer Komikon, and a random lucky pick to fill in January of the following year. For fourth, it's story is light-hearted and not dark and violent which is good for the adults. And finally, very lame names if you're an adult like yours truly. No offense but I guess it's also depends on the tastes of every fan.

Conclusion

Since the blog is now called The Foldabots Archives, I'll be focusing on mostly older stuff which I have in my collection at this point, though I have five characters missing, which were the Magmabot Apoy, and the 2013 Foldabots Bughaw, Harurot, Machete, and Pag-Asa. And of course there is the new test patterns which include a crossover and Habol, the rural bus. And due to other prior stuff in line, I might not post at least twice monthly. And we'll be catching you guys again next time on The Foldabots Archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment