Featured Post

Magmatron: Revisited + Alpha

It had been 6 months since my last blog, and just after some anonymous stranger sent me a scan of the last Magmabot I've been missing fo...

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Blast From The Past: The True Origin of Foldabots

In Loving Memory of
Jose Alfonso "Poch" Tejido
April 16, 1953 to May 7, 2013

  This blog is dedicated to all Folda-Fans in all over the seven thousand islands...
...and especially to the man who made this revolution.


"When I was in the 2nd grade, I showed my dad my paper toy, decepticon Ravage, based on the cassette tape that turned into a beast/dog. He said it was his favorite coz he can flatten it and put it in his pocket. I never asked for the real Ravage toy. It was these little moments of appreciation that made me love art and making things, that eventually led to the creation of Foldabots."

Now, below is the actual drawing of his 'Very First Foldabot' and a picture of the actual model.
Original Hand Drawing by Jomike Tejido back in Grade 2. Resembles a cassette tape which turns into a panther-like robot.

This is how the toy is formed
By the looks of the original drawing, the shape of the cassette tape is not exactly the right proportions as if it is wider than a standard cassette, aside from it was drawn by hand. The result was a nice little paper craft idea, that almost looks like the real thing. The toy doesn't need glue or any other stuff to add, you just need to cut out the pattern and fold some of the parts to make it stand out. Because of this, it gave me inspiration to make my version of his toy, using the Graph Paper Grid I mentioned back in another blog. Aside from this, I also made some other designs from the same concept. The difference is you're going to glue the two sides together since one side has the cassette side and the other is the alt. This is just like Uwak, the red crow sidekick of Lupet. You can also make your designs on the white side of the cassettes.
(Left to Right) Beast-type, Bird-type, Humanoid-type
The cassette design is just a clip art I found in the internet. By the way, there is another set I'll try to make, but this time it's a combiner type. It's a challenge for me to make this inspiration to grow into this great product. So, until then... SEE YOU AGAIN ON THE NEXT BLOG! Don't forget to comment if you have any reactions on my blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment