Featured Post

Magmatron: Revisited + Alpha

It had been 6 months since my last blog, and just after some anonymous stranger sent me a scan of the last Magmabot I've been missing fo...

Friday, October 3, 2014

FOLDABOTS MINI: 5th Anniversary

Hashtags: #foldabots #FoldabotsMini

Last time, we looked at the remade BAHAGHARI in which I shrunk them to the size like the ones originally released 5 years ago. As a matter of fact, after I searched high and low, I finally found the pot of gold in the end of the rainbow--In short, the lost pattern cards I needed.

Like the ones I made already, these are replicated and roughly the same designs and sizes, and yes, you will get all 15 plus bonus parts which I made in just 7 patterns. In total, there are 9 patterns consisting of all 20 original parts and 4 new ones.

MY EXPERIENCE STORY

Now, some of the veteran fans like I do, know this, and some consider this as their first Foldabots. Though buying K-Zone is a little costly at that time, this acted as an alternate source for avid collectors, because they are cheaper. They first came in biscuit boxes, and the patterns can be easily found on the back, the only hastle I had with these is you need scissors to carefully cut the back panel out. The goodness of each pattern is it had easy instructions and diagrams included, and an indication mark to know what part it forms. And just like I said before, there were no helmets on this line, why? First, the material used in making the box is very different from the ones in the magazines, not so flexible, the designs tend to wear off, but holds its shape very well. Second, there are no sub-groups, basically you can make up various combinations with the full set, downside is two of the legs will not combine well with others, that's also the reason why. And lastly, they come in two sizes, the first wave had 8 Foldabots to start with which the first 4 were on the small boxes and the other 4 are on the big boxes, the second and final wave completes the full lineup of 20, in which 8 were on the small and the last 4 are on the big. In which you have a choice.

After the promo ended, I never got the chance to find the remaining parts, until a good friend of mine posted on his Multiply(R.I.P. Multiply's Social Service), pictures of the full set which includes the ones I missed. I was inspired to make my own extended lineup after that. Eventually, I decided to lay it off after most of the files were gone, and that's where Series 2 came in a year later.

Series 2 was released this time, in packs of bandages, which I myself was surprised. The set is much smaller than last time, but the good thing about it, I finally completed this set. The lineup consists of 10 unique characters, and the good thing about this it had Lutabots this time, and you are bound to make two gestalts without any leftovers. The other difference of this series, is that most of the designs are retools of the previous set, but with a lot of new parts including tires, extra tabs, but still no helmets.

THE REMAKE ITSELF

Now, like I said on the last blog, all 15 will each share patterns because I don't want a lot of excess space gets left behind. And of course, name changes which I mentioned as well.










QUESTIONS

1) Why is there only 7 patterns?
While standard Foldabots usually take one or more pattern sheets, Mini ones take up a third to a half of the pattern area, which also gives room for other characters. In the case of Batak and Buhat which came in two parts, I combined both halves into one pattern.

2) Why there is a combiner head on Ikotron's pattern?
This is to fill the space which was also present on his original pattern card where a picture of an example gestalt fills it.

3) Why are some of the heads and other parts are now fixed on the main body?
To save up on cutting and gluing steps to make it easier to build.

4) What's the white and green sub-cars for?
They're both support vehicles which don't turn into individual Foldabots like Batak and Buhat's trailers, and extra parts to add height to Lunas and Tigas, giving added option and new combinations for any gestalts.

5) Are they compatible with the official ones?
No. Their measurements are a little different from the ones already released.

WRAPPING UP


Well, since it's The Foldabots Blog's second anniversary month this October, I'm also happy to say we are getting close to the completion of Trosonator after we got Salanta, and sadly, no teasers for TB7 yet. Well let's just hope to see this next month along with the last member on that issue. Well, see you on the next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment